Sunday, December 13, 2009

Key West Organic Farmers Market - Help Yourself!

When I last lived in the keys (I’ve been gone two years) finding good, organic food was a challenge. What could be found had often been picked too early to ever properly ripen. As I anticipated coming “home” to Key West for the winter, my mouth began to water for the fresh fish, but the part of me that was spoiled by Asheville’s 17 farmer’s markets worried: where would I find the green?

Imagine my delight to find that an organic farmer’s market is open every Sunday from 9:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. in Old Town. Thanks to Annie, the owner of Help Yourself Foods (my new favorite café), fresh organic produce is picked in Homestead on Saturday so Key Westers can eat it on Sunday. Today there was also local honey and eggs from Little Torch, as well as a large selection of tropical fruits grown in the Keys. I got a couple of starfruit.

There's also a stand for fresh coconut, and Midge Jolly (and she is!) & Tom Weyant sell local sea salt, solar evaporated and harvested from the waters off the lower Florida Keys and give away straw hats. I got a great new hat! Thank you!

I’ve loved everything I’ve eaten at Help Yourself Foods: I had a creamy, slightly sweet chicken salad wrap; a savoury, hot farmer’s wrap with yummy caramelized onions and ‘cashew cheese,’ and this morning’s breakfast wrap – scrambled eggs with avocado and greens, who knew! I plan to try everything on the menu as soon as possible.

Help Yourself Foods
829 Fleming Street
(corner of Margaret Street)
305.296.7766

The restaurant is open:
Mon-Sat | 8am-9pm
Sun | 9am-3pm

0 comments: